Learn More about Fluoride Treatment
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally. This mineral is well-known for its ability to prevent tooth decay and strengthen teeth. American tap water used to contain a small amount of the mineral for the same reasons. Statistics show that tap water reduced cases of tooth decay by about 25%.
As you can see, the treatment is very effective when it comes to preventing tooth decay. However, it is not a good choice for everyone. This article will discuss fluoride treatment so that you can know if it is effective for you or not.
Fluoride Treatment Explained
Nowadays, fluoride treatment is done in a dentist’s office. It involves the use of treatments that contain a high amount of fluoride in it. The treatment is applied to a person’s teeth to help prevent decay as well as improve the appearance of the teeth.
You can also use fluoride at home. However, you need to follow the specific instructions to the letter. Treatments conducted in a dentist’s office are more beneficial since they contain more fluoride, and they are done professionally.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatment
The mineral fluoride has several benefits to your teeth. Some of them include:
- Fluoride improves the usage of other minerals in your body. Minerals such as phosphate and calcium. Your teeth reabsorb these other minerals and repairs your enamel.
- Fluoride makes your teeth less vulnerable to harmful bacteria, as well as cavities.
- Harms the bacteria known for causing cavities. This means it can slow or even reverse any development of cavities.
- Fluoride treatments save you money as it delays the need for the expensive treatment.
- If used for kids, it prolongs the lifespan of their baby teeth,
- Reduces the number of visits to the dentist. If you prevent cavities, gum disease, tooth pain, and premature tooth loss are prevented as well.
- Improves your overall health. According to WHO, when your oral health is improved, your overall health drastically improves.
- Poor oral hygiene can lead to serious health conditions — for example, cardiovascular diseases. So, having a proper oral hygiene is important, which can be achieved by using fluoride.
Who Can Use Fluoride Treatment?
Fluoride treatment can help people struggling with the following conditions.
Your medications, diseases, drugs, HBP, and radiation treatments can cause this condition. Lack of saliva makes it hard for someone to swallow food, and it can lead to halitosis. Fluoride treatment can help with that.
Gum disease encourages tooth decay, and decay leads to more severe problems. Luckily, fluoride treatment can slow or reverse the condition.
Crowns & Implants
People using dental crowns, braces, or bridges can also use this. The treatment is not only for people with natural teeth. Anyone can benefit from it.
If you or your family have a history of cavities, this treatment can be of help.
In as much as fluoride treatment has many benefits, it also has some side effects. Some experts express their concern on fluoride, especially when used for children. They argue that the use of fluoridated water is also not safe for kids. However, there is no scientific evidence that shows that fluoride is dangerous. It only has some side effects, which include any of the following.
Fluorosis is a common side effect for kids between the age of one and eight years. Children should not consume fluoride in high doses to prevent that from happening.
Some people experience allergic reactions during the treatments. It is rare, but it happens. The reaction is mostly on one’s skin.
Toxic effects if a person does not follow the instruction while applying. Excess fluoride in the body can lead to excessive sweating, tiredness, nausea, or diarrhea.
How Much Does the Treatment Cost?
Fluoride treatment for children is usually covered by insurance. However, an adult fluoride treatment may require you to pay a few bucks. Don’t panic, though. It is very cheap. It will only cost you between ten and 30 dollars. Talk to your dentist about the cost before he begins the treatment.
Are you looking for a Coppell dentist to help you with your condition? Well, worry no more because you are in the right place. At Compassion Smiles, we will provide you with quality dental care. We are open on Saturdays, so if you are looking for a convenient location for a dental appointment, this is the place to be. Please book an appointment or call us. We are ready for you!